Wednesday, September 25, 2013


Katey Avedisian BIO

 

Since a very young girl, I have always had my hands into some creative avenue. (Those crayon marks on the wall when I was a toddler really was the work of my older sister, though she tried to blame me for it!) Growing up, I was always drawing, singing, dancing, and making mobiles to mud pies.

 

Though my first love was art, for my 9th birthday I asked for a keyboard so I could start piano lessons. From that point on, music became my first love. My mom would say if there was a piano anywhere, I would be drawn to it like a magnet.  As a teenager, my music interests spread in many directions as I had the benefit of living in a very musical town in North Texas with two colleges with strong music programs. I ventured in accompaniment, performance, handbells, violin, choir, and working with children choirs; I also discovered a passion for improvising and composing.

 

Despite my deep involvement with music, I did not intend to go into it as a career. After graduating high school, I began studies with Telos Institute in pursuit of a medical career. Through challenging circumstances, that door was closed and I turned back to my music. However, I always knew that whatever field of work I went into, it would involve working with children.

 

For the last 10+ years I have been teaching music full time, with some art on the side. Though it has ranged from choirs to handbells, piano instruction has been the majority of my teaching. I can honestly say that I love my job and my students; I am always looking for new ways to challenge myself, try new ideas, and pass on a love of the arts to my pupils.