Explorer and merchant Marco Polo captured the imagination of the many with his book detailing his travels. His adventures with Kublai Kahn and the people of the “East” were so fantastic that many of his contemporaries believed his tales to be fantasy. Over time much of what he detailed has been verified.
In class activities:
- Watched portions of Animated Heros Marco Polo
- Discussed the idea that cultural learning happens in two directions
- Mapped the silk road and Marco Polo's route
- Folded origami animals
- Discussed God's plan vs our own in relation so Marco Polo's time in jail during which his book was written.
Optional lesson extension activities:
- Enjoy this printable activity book to go along with the movie we watched
- Watch a brief summary of the impact of the Marco Polo's travels
- Read or watch Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice to better understand the issues faced by Marco Polo and his fellow traveling businessmen during this time period
- Try your hand at more origami.
Enjoy your holiday! See you in the new year!
Assignment due 1-3-2017:
Read history cards MA 20-23